BUILD ExternshipBridging Unity, Inclusion, Leadership & Diversity
About the Externship Program
The BUILD (Bridging Unity, Inclusion, Leadership & Diversity) Externship is a developmental, informational and highly interactive program for rising juniors. Participants will discover core business areas, enhance professional skills, and boost business acumen through immersive and engaging activities with Whirlpool Corporation.
With a commitment to our core value, Inclusion and Diversity, BUILD serves as a high-potential, diverse pipeline for our Leadership Development and Immersion Programs. BUILD provides opportunities to interact with our teams and professionals in Engineering, Supply Chain, Sales, Finance, Human Resources, Information Systems, and Manufacturing.
The 2021 BUILD Externship Program will include multiple sessions across the summer to help prepare you for the professional world. Starting in June, you’ll embark on your Whirlpool journey through self-led discovery and our BUILD Buddy Program. In July, participants will engage in weekly Career Camp sessions. The final portion of the program will include a 2 day conference that will run from August 19-20th.
Participating in BUILD provides:
- Professional Development & Career Education
- Networking opportunities with professionals in the industry
- Insight into Whirlpool Corporation, our culture, and
- Leadership Development and Immersion Program Opportunities
- Mentoring support through the BUILD Buddy Program
Foundational to inclusion and diversity, we strongly encourage candidates pursuing careers in Business and Engineering from traditionally underrepresented racial, ethnic or minority groups to apply. Background requirements include:
- Sophomore standing at the time of application – have 2 years remaining in their education before being eligible for full time employment
- Registered student pursuing a degree from a four-year institution
- Interest in applying to one of Whirlpool Corporation’s Leadership Development Program Internship Opportunities
- United States citizen or Permanent Resident
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Application deadline is March 26, 2021. If you meet the minimum background requirements, you will be prompted to take a behavioral assessment called “Plum” within one week of your application.
We are looking for future leaders who can help us create Moments That Matter for our Employees and our Consumers
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the purpose of the program?
The BUILD Externship is designed to provide current freshman and sophomores, majoring in business and engineering and who are minority students, an early exposure to the Whirlpool Corporation brands, careers and recruitment process for our Leadership Development and Early Career Programs. In our commitment to continually build on inclusion and diversity, the externship seeks to empower women and students of color with the best opportunities for success.
Who can apply?
To be eligible for BUILD, we strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented racial, ethnic and minority groups pursuing careers in Engineering and Business, as well as:
- Be a sophomore at the time of application – have 2 years remaining in their education before being eligible for full time employment
- Be a registered student pursuing an Engineering, Supply Chain, Finance, Human Resources, Info Systems, Marketing, or Sales degree from a four-year institution
- Be interested in applying to one of Whirlpool’s Leadership Development Program Internship Opportunities
- Be a United States citizen or Permanent Resident
Are there GPA requirements?
Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Will the experience be virtual or in-person?
Our health & safety of our employees, candidates, and participants is a priority for us. More details around the formatting of the experience will be shared at a later date.
Is there an application deadline?
Yes, the application deadline is March 26, 2021, 11:59 p.m. EST.
Meet our participants and learn about their experience
It’s a great place to work; there are many advancement opportunities; the company gives you the opportunity to develop as a leader.
A highly-respectable company looking to shape culture through product leadership. They look to create superior products through investing in their workers and living by the values of the company.
Whirlpool is a company that promotes individual growth because it allows for growth as a whole.